5 Suprisingly Useful Apps for Counselors
This weekend I have the privilege to speak at the Indonesian School Counselors National Convention in Bandung. During the session, I shared to the school counselors that according to Indonesia Millennial Report 2019, most (45-49%) of our millennials spent 4-6 hours on their gadget (Heavy users).
This fact challenges us to rethink how we can maximize the use of our gadget to turn distraction to disruption and passivity to productivity. Here are the 6R tips for you to help your students to use your gadget in the way they have never imagined.
- Ready : Teach your students to be ‘ready’ citizen who use their gadget to remind schedule and find the best routes.
- Renew : Challenge your students to renew and update themselves with information, knowledge, and skills.
- Resourceful : Gadget has been one of the most resourceful tools for teachers to use. Be resourceful person with your gadget who are fast to learn and explore things
- Real : At the same time, remind yourself to be real and down to earth. Not all things you see on the screen are real. Check out the story behind it. Be smart!
- Relational : Relationship in the virtual world is not always something you can rely on. Stay smart, alert, kind in building relationship in social media.
- Relevant : Be relevant person with relevant skills. Use your gadget to make yourself more relevant.
Although our millennials are heavy use of gadget, there is no apps can replace school counselors!
To stay ready, renew, and resourceful, here are 5 suprisingly great apps school counselors can use:
1. Google Photos: With the support of advanced AI, you will learn to document photos in the way you’ve never imagined. Collect, organize, edit, make memories with Google Photos will help school counselors to track students progress.
2. Google Calendar: There is no calendar can be even matched with Google Calendar as you can automatically schedule your good habit, meeting, and video call sessions.
3. Google Forms/Sheets: Feedback, survey, quiz are the most important tools for school counselors and you will never find super simple apps like Google Forms to automatically turn your survey to comprehensive report.
4. Google Assistant: Meet the new assistant that can let Google help you by just speaking to them. From setting alarm, reminder, to find the best location and recommendation, you will find this app so exciting!
5. Google Classroom: Try the most organized, simple, and resourceful learning management apps that will help you share important information and links and with your students here.
There are actually more apps for the school counselors to maximize the effectiveness and impact of your work to touch students life. The thing is keep exploring and stay updated! No gadget can replace you!